Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My First Youth Camp

This last week I was in Springville, Al. for youth camp 2010. Going in, I didn't really know what to expect because this was my first organized youth camp I've ever been to. It didn't take long at all for me to see that this was going to be another week of endurance and strength from the Lord himself. The first thing I did was make 14 enemies because I took up all cell phones. The pure reason being because it IS (not can be) a hinderance to what the Lord is trying to do that week. To just be set apart and be alone with just you, God, and 600 other teenagers who love Jesus. Not to mention it was a camp rule. But my students eventually got over it. Then not 10 minutes after getting there, I learned that I had been named "activities director" for the week. Basically all this meant was I needed to be at every event I could, keep score, umpire, or do whatever the staff director needed me to do. So that's what I did for the duration of the week. After all the games were completed, and scores were totalled up, it was then time for service.

The speaker was Pastor Wayne Northup from Dallas, Tx., and wow was he hilarious. For those of you who usually fall asleep during sermons (first off shame on you) but that would definatley not happen during one of his. He would call you out! Pastor Wayne's wife, Kristi Northup and her band were leading worship for the week. I can honestly say that was one of the best live worship experiences that I have ever had!
So night one was so powerful, and something was done that I had never seen (or heard of). The speaker asked all of the leaders to come foward, he then made a statement that has stayed with me ever since "people who are incomplete or hurt, make others the same way." So we found partners, heard each others needs and prayed. He then had all students who had been running or simply needed prayer to come foward. The scenario quickley turned into a sea of students earnestly seeking something deeper in a relationship with God. After praying for countless amounts of students, I couldn't help but feel completley and utterly amazed at what had just occured. I also learned this night, that sleep was going to be on the minimal for the week:/

The start of day 2 my first taste of what being a leader at a youth camp was all about. After a fun filled day of softball, volleyball, kickball, and other events it was time for night 2 of service. This particular night was all about a "calling." The students were encouraged to seek the face of through prayer about what they were being called to do. Some were called into full time ministry that night for the first time, others called to be in the armed forces, and anything that the perfect will of God had for their lives. All in all, an incredible service. I know first hand what it is like to be called into ministry as I was myself when I was 16, but unfortunatley I ran for over 2 years, and it wasn't till I was 18 that I answered that call and went into full time ministry.

Wednesday, day 3. The service that we all hear about, but few ever get to actually experience it. It started off as a typical service, worship song 1 worship song 2 but then it stopped. Because in the middle of the second song which was "You won't Relent" the students took over. They sang it over and over and over (well you get the point) Now I know there will be some of you out there who will disagree with what I am about to say and I'm okay with that. I respect that. But the Holy Spirit fell on that place, and I was def. a target! I fell and layed in the floor for a extended period of time praying, and speaking in tongues like never before! Till God got ahold of me and spoke "GET UP" as I did, I saw countless bodies of teenagers on their face speaking in tongues and instantly being filled with the Spirit. A prayer tunnel was formed on the stage and any student wanted to be filled was asked to walk through to recieve prayer from all the leaders. Instantly close to 300 people formed a line that took over an hour to get through. There was no more worship, no speaking, just teenagers bawling there eyes out before the Holy God, and recieving an encounter like never before. People were falling out left and right, and it was truly a remarkable experience for me, and one I will never forget!

Day 4, Thursday. The last day for devotions, services, and competitions. One of my favorite days because I got to do something I haven't done in a long time. PAINTBALL!!! I used to love that sport growing up, so it was cool to get to re live some memories (good yet painful memories)
Service that night was just as incredible as all the previous ones. Students urgently chasing after what God had to offer, and eager for another incredible encounter with the Holy Spirit. It was all about prayer for the communities, schools, families, states, and our great country and world. We recongnize that there is nothing we as people can do at this point, because it is going to take an act of God. Students immediatley caught on to this and began to seek after God on this. One thing that was real cool was to see those who had chosen all week not to participate in service and just sit in their seats get up and begin to bawl into the arms of God. I even had some of my own students pray for me, which was something that had only occured once before. All in all, amazing seal for what the Spirit of God had done in the hearts of over 600 teenagers throughout the week.

The only negative thing I would have for the week would be the students just didn't have enoug free time, between services and games and a billion other things, they only had like an hour and a half to chill. And even the majority of that was spent getting ready for service.
But other than that, just an amazing experience to watch the Spirit of God act and work in so many lives, something I pray is an experience never forgotten. I know it is one I will never forget!


I feel the need to just throw this out there, but everytime I sat down to eat, I felt like I was back in high school eating cardboard pizza and mystery meat:) think about that and try to go eat your next meal:) Thank you for taking the time to read about my incredible experience at my first youth camp experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment