Monday, June 28, 2010

Praising Him in the Storm

We've all heard the song "Praise You in This Storm" by Casting Crowns. A great classic! But for me, the song has never hit closer to home than now. Over the past few weeks here at Gulfway, I have encountered some "first" for me. I'll start with preaching my first REACH service.
The week prior was awful! Satan threw everything he had in my direction, or so it felt like. From things that would never in a million years frustrate me, were frustrating the stew out of me! Down to not even having a desire to do anything ministry related, I just wanted a break. Or if nothing else, to get away! Then came the week of, same thing and same result. Then the day of, it felt like it was 50X worse! I couldn't believe it! I was becoming angry with God (stupid I know) but it was all to real for me. Then I placed a call to an old friend who directed me to Genesis 39- dealing with Joseph.

I learned that Joseph didn't deserve anything he got (soled into slavery, betrayed by his family, wrongly accused of having sex with Potiphars wife) none of that! But the Bible says that everywhere Joseph went, he had the favor of the Lord. Gen 39:2 says, " The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a successful man, and he was in the house of his Egyptian master." Everywhere in the verses following it talks about Joseph finding favor in the eyes of the Lord. Well somewhere along the line of this internship, I had lost sight of that. I had become so focused on doing the work of God, and I wasn't even being a man of God! What a reality check.
Then service time. Now in times past, I have noticed where I will have a God-awful week and service will be awesome! And the reason being, because Satan hates what is soon to come. As worship was going on, my spirit just began to erupt in excitement, but I had no clue what for. I preached the sermon titled "unstoppable faith" and thats when my second "first" happened. For the first time down here I was able to lead a new student to the Lord. I would take a million of the weeks I had just had to get to do that all over again. When I left, the one thing I told everyone was that if atleast one person got saved because of it, then it was all well worth it.

Now most of you are aware this job is a non paid thing. However, I do still have a car payment, cell phone, insurance, gas, etc... So needless to say money is TIGHT! By the grace of God money has been sent and raised, but not enough. Well Friday during our student internship, we were washing cars for a local person who needs a heart transplant. Throughout the entire day, I kept feeling like the Lord was telling me to give. But I kept using the excuse of "but but God I'm not getting paid and I don't have it, and I don't know how I am going to pay for things..." Well I ended up giving $20 for the cause. I walked away feeling pretty good about obeying what I was told to do. Glory to God!

Later on in the week I was asked to take up the offering for the Sunday morning service and to give a 3 minute speech on what tithing and offering was all about. So I looked me up a scripture, gave a personal testimony, prayed, and sat down. I completley forgot to take up the one thing I was told to do! Needless to say I was mortified lol. Well after service was when my last "first" occured. I was standing there talking to a student when a older gentlemen (whom I did not know) one I had never seen before, approached me extended his hand and slipped me a $50 bill! I was a little taken back at first, then he said these words to me, "I feel like God is telling me to give you this, be blessed." I of course thanked him, and sat down a minute to praise God and spend some time thanking Him. Not 15 minutes later, one of the church members approached me with a job offer. Working around my current schedule.
So I give $20, and God gives me $50 and a new job! O how He is so faithful! So next time you are in a season and don't see an end in sight, remember you are HIS child, and He will never leave you, never abandon you, and is always true to His word! I hope and pray this message can be encouraging for someone out there. If it is please let me know so I can agree with you in praise to the Father.

I am now halfway throught this experience and God has already taught me so many things, I can't wait to see what else He has in store, stay tuned for more to come...

In Christ,

Devin Jeffreys

No comments:

Post a Comment